Dear Families, Estimadas Familias,
SO MANY THINGS to tell you this week!!!
So, without any further ado, let’s get right into the thick of it:
1. REMINDER: Our monthly Parents’ Association meeting will be this Friday, November 17th at 8:35 AM in the cafeteria. We will be discussing the development of an onsite after school program for the 2018-19 academic school year. If you are interested in helping to create an affordable, high-quality AFTER SCHOOL program for our community, then please attend this meeting! It is crucial that we get as much parent involvement as possible (which is why we are shouting in ALL CAPS).
2. Family Conferences will be this Thursday, November 16th, beginning in the afternoon. Student dismissal will be at 11:30 AM. This is one of our beloved progressive practices at Muscota, and provides an opportunity to talk with both your child and teacher about their progress, to set goals, and to see their recent work. Your teacher or class parent(s) may have already reached out to you regarding meeting times. If in doubt, give your teacher or class parent a shout! Continue reading Week of November 13-17
Dear Families, Queridas familias,
Welcome to November!
Although we have no big events looming on the horizon, we are steaming ahead with our committees, so if you are itching to get involved, here’s your chance!
1. Last Wednesday morning, the Diversity Committee met, and there were 11 parents in attendance. Camille shared a presentation from New York Appleseed, which is a schools-focused social justice organization, and we discussed the district-wide initiate to increase school diversity, as well as how Muscota should participate. It’s clear that we need a lot of parents to help with outreach to expand awareness of the school, and support the diversity of next year’s kindergarten class. That will be the focus of this committee for the rest of the school year. Next meeting date: TBD (but will be in December).
Continue reading Week of November 6-10
Dear Families, Queridas familias,
What a great weekend we had!
Thank you to those of you who were able to attend the Mad Hatter’s Ball on Saturday night! We raised over $5000 for our school, and are so thankful for everyone’s participation! Thanks to our volunteers and those who donated food & cakes, and those of you who showed up for a good time! We hope you had an enjoyable time, if you were able to come, and if you weren’t, we hope to see you at our next event!
We’re honestly all a little tuckered out after the hullabaloo, but there are a few things we wanted to share this week:
1. SLT election results from the last PA meeting – Carolynn Herrera was elected as the newest member of our School Leadership Team (SLT). The SLT is responsible for developing our school’s Comprehensive Educational Plan (CEP), and includes parents, teachers, and administrators. Welcome, Carolynn!
Continue reading Week of October 30th-November 3rd
Dear Families, Estimadas familias,
During this last full week of October, our thoughts are directed towards this weekend’s major event – The Mad Hatter’s Ball, which is also our first big fundraiser of the year! We are so excited!!
We hope that you are planning to attend what will be a lively fall festival, and, if so, that you are considering volunteering! Which brings us to our announcements:
1. Volunteers are needed for the Mad Hatter’s Ball this coming Saturday! We are trying to be as specific as possible with our needs, so that folks who sign up are clear on their roles and time frame needed. So don’t be daunted by the massive list! 🙂
Sign up now
Continue reading Week of October 23rd-27th
Well, now that I can actually say something about the weather, I am a little cross at how cold it actually is. Oh, well. It’s a lesson in patience and acceptance, I suppose. And also a reminder that Mother Nature doesn’t care one bit what I think.
With that humbling thought, onto the news!
1. Come join your fellow Muscota parents at our monthly Parents’ Association (PA) Meeting this Wednesday, October 18th at 6:30 PM. As a parent/caregiver, you are automatically a member, and we need your help and input! Please note that this month’s meeting is in the evening and that next month’s will be a morning meeting. We hope that in this way, we can accommodate the various needs of our families, and that we will see you there!
2. This Thursday, the Bard Club is hosting a fundraiser!
Still putting together your Mad Hatters Ball or Halloween costumes? Come find all the finishing touches you need at
Queen Dayna’s Bard Club Rummage Sale! This Thursday, Oct. 19th from 5:30-7:30pm in the Muscota cafeteria.
Only $5 to FILL A BAG with all sorts of crafty, costumey goodies, like:
Continue reading Week of October 16th-20th
Dear Families, Queridas familias,
Well, so much for cooler weather…
We hope that your week is going well. Thank you for bearing with us as we fine-tune our communications to match our rhyming “Tuesday Newsday” goal.
With that in mind, let’s get into things:
1. We are still looking for Spanish translators to translate 1-2 communications per month! If you are interested in helping, please email MuscotaPA@muscota.org (please note the correction from last week’s email – @google.com is not the correct appendage for PA Board emails – we are very sorry for any confusion!).
2. Mad Hatter’s Ball (October 28th) preparations are well underway, and as this is a lovely and complex and EXCITING event, it gets sub-headers!:
– Check out Mad Hatters Flyer!
Continue reading Week of October 10-13, 2017
Dear Muscota Families, Queridas familias,
Happy October from your PA Board!
We hope that you are enjoying the more seasonally-appropriate weather this week, and that the need for jackets and hats is a welcome change from our unseasonably hot September!
As we move into our first full month of school, we wanted to share with you the following updates & announcements:
1. September PA Meeting update – The PA (of which all families are members!) met on Friday, September 29th at 8:30 AM. Among the topics covered were fundraising to support Chess & Coding Clubs as well as the budget changes the administration is experiencing due to the funding of a second 5th grade classroom. School supplies and planned expenditures were also discussed. Minutes from past meeting can be found online at muscota.org/minutes-bylaws/.
2. The next PA Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, October 18th at 6:30 PM. Please note the alternating morning/evening meeting times; this is an effort to accommodate as many families’ schedules as possible. We hope to see you there!
3. Spanish Translators (desperately) Needed! In an effort to reach as many families in our community as possible, the PA is committed to disseminating information in both Spanish & English. However, we need your help! If you are willing to edit and/or proofread one or two PA communications each month (that have been roughly translated into Spanish), please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Continue reading Week of October 2-6, 2017